We were a little nervous about the possibility of us getting altitude sickness. It is suggested that anyone coming from a lower altitude should take a day to acclimate themselves to the difference in altitudes. It’s also very important to hydrate.
Of course we didn’t plan for this and went from Indiana, flew into Denver and drove up to Winter Park. The first night I had no issues and was relieved because I thought I would.
But then Midday came the next day and it hit like a hammer. We were getting done with the first half of the ski lessons and the horrible headache started. I just blew it off and then we broke for lunch and I was so nauseated.
We stopped at this mountainside food place and all it seemed like they had was greasy stuff. The smell off the grease was making my stomach doing flips. Mitch found a chicken sandwich on the menu so I got that and then I thought I would try some soup.
After telling the instructor I was not feeling well he told me I was experiencing altitude sickness. The best thing for me was rest, water and some type of vitamin water. Mitch went to the bartender to see if she might have some Advil. Thank goodness she had some.
After drinking a lot of water, some type of sport drink and eating a half a sandwich my nausea had gone away but the headache was horrible. I decided to push through the lessons.
After the lessons, we headed back to the room so I could lie down. At this point the headache felt like a migraine. So Mitch went around the bedroom turned off all the lights and pulled all the shades. He shut the door behind him and I fell a sleep.
Once I woke up I was feeling better but still had a headache, which didn’t get better until the next morning. With lots of water, vitamin water and food the altitude sickness finally went away by that night.
That night for dinner I decided I was good and popped open a bottle of wine….BIG BIG MISTAKE. After a glass and a half of wine the headache came back with revenge. So back to my routine of Advil, Water, Vitamin Water.
By the third day my body had adjusted and I was good to go…but it was still important to keep drinking water.
Lessons learned
First I must drink my body weight in water when I’m in higher altitudes
Second I can’t drink wine when I’m in higher altitudes
Third must bring a big bottle of Avil:)
1 comment:
A great lesson for your trip to Utah!
Post a Comment