Monday, June 6, 2011

Why change something when it’s working?

That is the question I asked myself as I open up a quote from my most recent dentist visit.


I had this great dentist from childhood and then I moved to the other side of town and decided 8 years ago that I didn’t want to drive to the other side of town that I could find a dentist in the town I was in.

So two of my friend recommended this dentist so I decided to check him out. Overall I like his personality and he seemed alright. As time when on he convinced me to take out the old filling and replace them with new and better filling. He said that old filling expand and contract with heat and cold and leave gaps where cavities can grow.

OK, I thought. Sounds alright, let’s get it done. So he worked on two or three teeth on my left side. Ever since the “bigger, better newer” filling was put in I’ve had some pain in my teeth.

I finally went back to him only to discover I have fractures in my one tooth. ***CRAP**

OK what does that mean…how we fix it. We need to put a crown on it ***DOUBLD CRAP***

OK what is that going to cost. He needed to put it through to the insurance company to find out.

So I wait for a quote.

Two weeks later I got an estimate in the mail…..$1200 with an out of pocket cost of $750…WHAT!!!! With insurance I am going to have to cough up $750. That is ridiculous.

It’s ridiculous because more than one person said it would cost about $800 and depending on the coverage about $350 out of pocket.

So, in the mist of being pissed off I decided I was going to call my old dentist. The receptionist answered and gave me a quote over the phone…out of pocket about $350. OK, let’s schedule it.

So now I will have a temporary crown placed on my tooth in two weeks and then two weeks after that the real thing will be place on.

I still think the other dentist did something to my tooth when he remove the old fillings and put in the new fillings. I don’t have problems with my teeth and to have to submit to a crown is heart breaking for me.

I should have stayed with my old dentist and none of this would have happened.

So, as the old saying goes,

DON’T FIX SOMETHING IF IT AINT BROKE!!!

1 comment:

LSL said...

Medical and dental prices are such scams! I'm glad you were able to go back to your old dentist and get your teef fixed. I have a dentist appointment next week to replace my first filling. I'm scared! (Of the procedure and the cost!)