Well, I have been working on my resume all weekend. This is something that I have not done for a year or so. Which I have been taught you should always keep you resume updated. Well, since I got my new position last year I never touched my resume and now that our company is going through all of these changes (aka, laying people off), oh! did I say laying people off....I mean reallocating people, I feel that I need to go ahead and get that sucker updated so that if something should happen in the near future I will be ready to hand it out. If it is done then there is no pressure and I know that it will be right and will look it's best.
So between visiting my BF on Sat and getting some stuff done in my yard, my butt has been sitting at this computer revamping my resume and boy did it need it! I am pretty much completed with it and comparing my before and after I realized I didn't use anything on my previous resumes except for the work history and education part, everything else is new.
So my resume bible that I used to help is "Resumes that Knock 'em Dead"...actually my mom gave it to me when all this stuff started to hit my company...I have been reading it for about two weeks now and figured out how my resume should look. I thought I know about resumes but I didn't realize how the resume style has changed. And it has changed a lot....my format is completely different.
There is one thing that I read that I completely believe in and that is, once you have the resume completed you need to let is sit at least over night. And I did that and this morning when I woke up, even before breakfast (which I still need to eat!) I gave it a once over and so many things jumped out at me. I grabbed my pen and started to change, well, almost everything. Taking stuff out, adding new stuff and changing the format once again! And now it looks good, of course I will let it sit and look at it again tomorrow.
Now the next step is to get my mom (who is in HR at a different company) to review it and see if she has any changes for me to make...then my resume will be gold and I will feel more comfortable because if something should happen to my current job I will be ready to move forward. Instead of rushing to get my resume together and not being able to advertise the best of who I am, I will be able to jump right into the job hunt.
Though our management has been saying that we will not be effect I have heard different rumor. I'm hoping they are just rumors but it never hurts to be prepared!
No comments:
Post a Comment